This is a list of resources for fulfilling committee duties. For example, check-lists for spring picnic, how-to for getting reimbursed from the GA, and so forth.


Sources of funding

These instructions are current as of Fall 2016.

The amount and source of funding for every event planned for the upcoming year should be clearly outlined in a budget submitted to the department (e.g. to Laura Slakey) by the SGSA presidents at the beginning of the Fall Semester.

There are three sources of funding:

  1. The department: The bulk (~$2,000 per year) of the funding of the funding comes from the department. This should cover big department events such as the Fall and Spring party.

  2. The GA: we tend to request $1,000 ‘‘per semester’’ from the GA for events. This should cover primarily grad student events such as the foosball tournaments.

  3. T-shirt sales: we tend to budget $500 from the t-shirt sales money per year. Since the GA and department funding does not cover alcohol (or soda apparently), most of the funding for beverages will come from the t-shirt sales.

Reimbursement procedure

NOTE: Do this ASAP after the purchase has been made. You will need to do the following before purchasing food/drinks for the event: Contact the Treasurer and/or SGSA presidents to find out about what your budget is. If your budget is split between multiple sources, be sure to make separate purchases. For example, have a receipt for alcohol separate from the food because alcohol must be reimbursed using t-shirt money. How to buy food: If it is a big expense (such as food for the Spring party), you can order ahead from Safeway. You must get to the online checkout point, and then take your laptop to the front desk in order to have Mary use the department card to finalize the purchase. Please email her ahead of time to find a time that works for her as she’s busy! For smaller purchases (such as food for student seminars), you will need to pay for the food yourself and then get reimbursed. How to get reimbursed: Be sure to save all of your receipts If you bought things with the t-shirt money (i.e. alcohol), the treasurer will reimburse you directly. If you use department funds, you need to submit an Entertainment Reimbursement Request to Laura Slakey, and contact the treasurer if you need help filling it out. If you have other non-food expenses, check with Laura to see if they can be reimbursed and what additional forms you need to fill out. Finally, if you’re using GA money, talk to Jason ‘‘well before the end of the semester’’ as the process can take time and they won’t reimburse things after a certain date. To get reimbursed by the GA you need to follow the procedure outlined in the Callink GA tutorial which is quite detailed. The reimbursement page in particular is useful. Talk to the treasurer who probably knows how to do this.

Graduate Assembly Delegate

  • Attend GA meetings that are generally the first Thursday of each month.
  • Gather the funding requests from the Seminar Committee, Internal/External Social Committees about what activities they wish to apply for.
  • Make sure the events are listed on the Student Calendar.
  • File the request form before the deadline to the GA.

Running the Spring Picnic

Planning Schedule

  • Fricken Early:
    • Have meeting to pick date
    • Submit form for funding
    • Reserve area with city
  • P – 1 month: Save-the-date email
  • P – 1 week Picnic Invite Email
  • P – 3 days: Reminder email
  • P – 1 day or so:
    • Berkeley Bowl Run
    • Prep Vegetables (wash and cut)
    • Wash fruit
  • P-Day, i.e. the Picnic:
    • 10 AM CostCo Run – obtain meat, etc.
    • 11:30 AM Start the fires burning
    • 12:00 AM Start grilling (veggies first)
    • 4 PM Go play Frisbee

Things to remember

Bring trash bags and scissors. Don’t forget bottle openers. Remember that the SGSA already has a cooler and may already have paper plates and cups. Don’t forget grill tools. Remind people to dress warm.